Up until the time I got pregnant with Iliana I thought I knew everything about properly raising a child. Yianni was already in his terrible two’s, I had read tons of books (which did not turn out to be the best thing afterall), and thought I had it all figured out. Ignorant, right?To say the least! This is short list of a few things I realized the second time around:
- There is no right or wrong way. There is your way. This is by far the most important thing I ve learned! No matter what everyone else told me, I knew and I felt what was right for my child at the time and it usually just turned out fine.
- There are tons and millions of baby gadgets out there. You only need a few. The more baby crap you buy the more you have to get rid of while your child is growing up. Get as much as you can from relatives or friends. Babies grow up way too fast!
- Breastfeeding was wonderful and I am extremely happy to have managed to breastfreed both of my children. However, if you breastfeed 20 times a day, truth be told, it can be boring. Contrary to whatever I had read, I did do other stuff while breastfeeding (watching TV series on my laptop was my favourite).
- Spending one on one time with your first child is great but it won’t make it less jealous of no2. Mommy time is never enough (especially when having to share her).
- There is a long period of adjustment which can be easier for some or more difficult for others. They might fight, hit, push, scratch, yell, pull each other’s hair and smash each others toys until complete and utter destruction (on a daily basis). However, should you have the strength and patience to hang in there, it does get better. They grow to love and appreciate one another. They have each other, FOR LIFE!